Sponsor Spotlight

USGA
Meet our partners »

Stay in touch

Follow us:

Polo Field Golf Center

The Polo Field Golf Center is the home of The First Tee of Greater San Antonio. We are located at 915 E. Mulberry Avenue next to the San Antonio Zoo in Brackenridge Park. This area was originally inhabited by Native Americans and before them, prehistoric man. Keep your eyes open, many artifacts have been found in this area! In 1762, this plot of land was used as a communal farm known as the Nuestra Senora de los Dolores (Our Lady of Sorrows). How appropriate for what would become a golf training facility! The Polo Fields’ rich soil and proximity to the San Antonio River has kept this area in active use since 1762. Polo was played on the grounds from the early 1920’s to 1976. Polo was a high profile sport involving many celebrities of the era. Our most notable visitor was Will Rogers, celebrated American cowboy humorist, philosopher, and philanthropist who played polo here in 1931. Lacrosse and rugby were also played here over the years. Polo, being a winter sport, lead to the fields being used as a driving range in the summer. Polo moved to north Bexar County in 1976 and the driving range remained unchanged until 2001 when Golf San Antonio, a not for profit 501c3, took over and brought The First Tee chapter to the facility.

In 1998 Golf San Antonio received its charter to run The First Tee of Greater San Antonio. The First Tee’s mission is “To impact the lives of young people around the world by creating affordable and accessible golf facilities primarily to serve those who have not had the exposure to the game and its positive values.” In 2001 GSA took over operations of the Polo Fields and began planning and fund raising for the renovations we see today. In April 2003 construction began on the renovations and was completed in October 2003. The Grand Opening was held November 3, 2003 with much fanfare and celebration. Presentations by PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem and Mayor Ed Garza highlighted the event as they spoke to a crowd of 200 children and community members. The facility has been called the “First Course for Kids”. We have 3 regulation holes but more importantly we can impact the lives of youth through our Life Skills instruction. As we look back on the storied history of this area, we can look forward to making a positive impact in children’s lives for many years to come.